Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"Ding!" They're done!

Largest follicle at 23mm as of this morning, as well as several more at 20 thru 17mm.

So......trigger tonight! Retrieval on Friday!! Transfer on Monday or Wednesday, depending on how the embryos are doing!!!

I can't believe it.

I'm delighted, and thrilled, and grinning, and my heart hasn't stopped pounding since I left the RE's office this morning.

But, I'm very apprehensive about 2 things:

First, and most imminent, I'm reeeeealllly anxious about the intra-muscular injections. Since I'm not taking Ovidrel, and taking the generic 5,000iu hcg shot instead, it has to be taken IM instead of subQ. So, it all starts tonight! Ack! I also thought I needn't worry about the progesterone-in-oil injections until after the Transfer - but I found out today that I have to start those on Friday after the Retrieval! Waaaaaahh!!!

The nurse at my RE's office drew two big black circles on either side of my ass, so that R would have perfect targets. She recommended icing the area before hand, so that you don't feel the needle going in (which prevents flinching). She said I should put something warm on it immediately afterwards (a heating pad, a wet washcloth in a baggie microwaved for a minute, etc.) and massage it for awhile, and further, that I shouldn't do the shot just before going to bed. The idea is that I should be moving around enough afterwards for the oil to get worked into the muscle, instead of just sitting there in a lump all night.

I KNOW that I can and will do whatever it takes. I know that I can do this. But since I've never had an IM injection, I'm letting myself get all worked up over it. I'm really, really dreading it. Maybe it is the psychological aspects of giving up control to R, (which has nothing to do with trust - I trust him completely), as well as the shock of looking at such a huuuuuge needle. It elicits a visceral reaction. Ugh.

And the other thing that I'm anxious about is the retrieval process. So, if you remember, the faux retrieval I had last time, which we called a "Follicle Reduction", was incredibly painful. Under no circumstances do I want to feel all those needle punctures in my ovaries again! This morning I told the nurse about my experience, and she was totally horrified. She PROMISED that I would be TOTALLY out for the retrieval this time around, and that I wouldn't feel anything during the procedure. She said that she would put a note in my chart that I wanted to speak to the anesthesiologist beforehand in order to relate my past experience. I guess that makes me feel slightly reassured?? I'm still a ball of nerves over it though.

I'll post again after my first IM shot tonight, if I survive.....

6 comments:

Kellie with an "ie" said...

AAAAHHHHHHHH! I could not be more thrilled if it were happening to me. You will be in my thoughts. Everything I can possible cross, I'll have crossed for you!

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

Oh yes, you last experience!!! I'm glad she put a note in your chart, because it definitely sounds like you weren't given enough drugs! I'll be thinking of you and praying everything turns out to be a breeze....

And YAY on the follicle progression!!! At only 16 (right?) days of Stims! What a great thing to happen to you. You were SO WISE in switching RE's. I hate to think of the women still with the other.

FWIW, I was super nervous about my 1st IM shot (which was my first ANY shot - a Clomid/IUI cycle w/HCG Trigger). The doctor kept asking if I was ok with J doing it and how I felt. Every appt and phone convo I kept saying, "I don't know if we can do this!" And then when it happened, it was over so quickly and painlessly, I didn't even know! By my 3rd IM shot, I did it alone by myself. It went in so easily I hopped around the house finding a camera to take a pic to send to J. :) So trust you two will do great!

My 1 tip is that after icing I stand with weight off the shot side.

I am SOOOOO EXCITED for you!!! Thanks for posting so we all can cheer you on. I'm just really hoping this is IT for you!

Mel W. said...

OMG K! This is so exciting! I'm so happy for you and will pray and keep every single limb dangling off my body crossed that everything works out. This is soooooo worth missing the beach!

XOXO

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

I can't count! It's 19/20 days of stims! Duh! Forgive my bad math!

Heather said...

Good luck!!!! My fingers and toes are all crossed for you!

BTW, IM injections don't hurt. Seriously. I actually thought they were easier than the subQ.

But definately put a warm washcloth or, even better, a heating pad on your bum after the progesterone in oil injections. And massage it around. Otherwise if you have a cold bum like my well padded one, it seems to ball up and not disperse. I learned the hard way.

Good luck again!

Unknown said...

Hi K; wanted to wish you luck on the IM shot; I'll be doing it next month and I'm also very nervous about it. I hope we are as lucky as the above commenter (Heather) and it ends up not being that bad :)