Monday, July 23, 2007

Day 3 Transfer

We're home from the transfer! I have to say that the embryo transfer was by far the worst part of this whole IVF cycle, from a physical standpoint. I was in sheer agony bc of having a full bladder! I kept telling R that I wasn't sure I could hold it any longer. When the doctor finally came in and was threading the catheter through my cervix, I told her that I was half convinced that I was going to pee on her at any moment. She clearly thought I was kidding. I wasn't.

I cried through the whole thing. Partly emotions, I'm sure, but also because the nurse was pressing down on my bladder AND my swollen ovaries the entire time. Aaaaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh!!! Man, that really hurt. Obviously, worth it in every way, but still - that was worse than sub Q shots, IM shots, and egg retrieval all rolled into one!!

So the good news is that we had one embryo that was "super-fantastic fabulous looking", but the bad news is that the rest of our embryos are slackers. The dr. said that they like to see embryos between 6 and 10 cells by Day 3. Only one of ours hit that mark this morning, at 8 cells, and the dr. said that it was already showing signs of compacting and dividing again, so it's definitely an overachiever. We transferred the super fantastic one, as well as the next best one, which was at 5 cells this morning. The doc said that they certainly see pregnancies all the time from "so-so" embryos that are still growing a little too slowly on Day 3. She didn't see any reason we should risk transferring more than 2, even with the slower progress of the second one. She then said, in reality, if we do get pregnant, we'll never know whether it was from the superstar embryo, or the C student embryo. Interesting to think about that...

Our other 3 embryos had only made it to 4 cells by the this morning, so they said they would continue watching them to see if they make it to blast and are able to be frozen. But, I'm not holding out too much hope for that.

Anyway, now I'm on bed rest, and R is waiting on me hand and foot, which I have to admit is very nice! I don't know how the hell I'm supposed to be able to stand waiting until AUGUST 7 for our beta test!! Lord knows I will have peed on many a stick by then, but I'll have to hide it from R. He thinks it is a ridiculous waste of money, and he doesn't like the fact that I get all worked up over it every single morning. I think he'd prefer to save all the tears and drama until the end. I'm just not built that way though.....there's no way I could last for 2 weeks without getting some preliminary results from a pee stick.

As soon as I'm up and about again on Wednesday, I'm going to lay in a supply of First Response tests.

And so the wait begins........

10 comments:

Jujube said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome!! I'm very excited for you! I should have warned you about the transfer. I had a similar experience, and the doctor actually had to empty my bladder a little. That was very weird! But yes, the cramping and discomfort were NOT FUN! But you're through it now, and your chances of having at least one baby out of this are probably great! I hope the PIO shots are going OK...

megan said...

eek! i'm sorry to hear that your transfer was such an experience. i cannot stand that full bladder feeling. it's painful and awful. glad to hear you're home and that you had a super fantastic fabulous embryo. that's great news. hopefully you won't have to endure this again. . .

Ann said...

Hey, all you need is one baby right now, right? I'm pulling for your head-of-the-class embryo. And just a word of caution--you could very easily get a false negative, even 12 or 13dpo.

Heather said...

Yeah!!! My fingers are crossed for both your overachiever and your C-student. Who cares which one! Anyone will do! I totally agree on the testing. I think I might start testing on Friday and I'm not really due until Sunday (we're just doing it on our own right now - considering going back to the doctor's again, but not ready to commit).

Jen said...

Hoorah! You are almost there! I hope the 2ww goes by quick!

jeanie said...

Sorry about your pain, but I feel so hopeful for you right now! Don't feel guilty about testing-- I would never want it to all hang on that phone call either. I buy my tests online at http://www.saveontests.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_2

I have gotten positives with this brand on the same day I got a positive with FRER (DPO 10), but these tests can cost as little as 44 cents each (if you buy 50, which I do). That cuts down on the guilt if I feel like testing 3X in one day. Also, if you haven't already been to peeonastick.com, that's another of my rituals toward the end of the TWW. It's informative and amusing.

Samantha said...

The transfer shouldn't be so rough, I'm sorry your bladder was so uncomfortable. My last transfer, my RE let me pee a little bit out since he was running late and I was so full. REALLY HOPING you won't have to go through this again, but maybe the nurse would let you do that.

I hope the tww goes by fast!

CAM said...

Yea! Glad those little guys are in there and hopefully comfy and cozy! I was always told to pee before the transfer. Thanks to Jeanie too for the peeonastick site...one more website I can obssess over?!?! HA!
:)
Stay positive and rest up!

Egged Out said...

Oh! I didn't know you had to have a full bladder for that - I thought it was like an IUI. Sounds uncomfortable. Wishing the best!

Baby Blues said...

Sorry to hear about the unpleasant transfer experience. You rest up and take it easy. Sending you positive vibes. Good luck on your wait!