Friday, August 17, 2007

Now what?

R and I have been going around and around the mulberry bush, as they say, on what action to take next in trying to start our family. After many days of soul searching and lots of knock-down, drag-out tearful conversations, I think we have finally have a mutually agreeable plan, at least for the very near future.

The crux of our difference in perspectives is this: R is tired of watching his wife go through endless days and nights of shots and doctor's visits and emotional highs and lows. He is worried about the emotional (and physical) toll that 6 future cycles of IVF (if we sign up for Shared Risk) might have on my emotional well-being, on my very personality. He's ready for us to be parents, now. He is interested in pursuing something that offers certainty and security in terms of an outcome. He is frustrated by the unpredictability of IVF. When considering the prospect of spending over $20 thousand dollars, I think he feels much better about signing up for something that has a 100% chance of putting a baby in our arms at the end of it.

I, on the other hand, am clinging desperately to the idea of having another chance at a biological child, and pursuing that opportunity as quickly as possible. It's the only thought that keeps me from being well and truly 'depressed', as a matter of fact. I'm just not ready to let that dream go. I feel really desperate and out of control; I'm not sure how to change or channel these feelings.

Our endless and frustratingly circular conversations over the last week stemmed from the fact that I'm scared out of my wits that we are heading down a path that will breed resentment in the future. If R feels we should abandon treatment and pursue adoption, and I go along with that, will I wake up 10 years from now resenting that I didn't "try harder" or insist on further opportunities to try for a biological child? If I want to sink a huge amount of our money and our time into 6 further IVF cycles, to the tune of $22K, will R resent me when monthly financial decisions are impacted as a result of this expenditure? Or, if all 6 cycles fail, and the money has been refunded to us, will R resent the fact that we've then "wasted" potentially 18 - 24 months and we're at the starting gate to adoption at ages 39 and 41, respectively?

Bless R, for he is unbelievably supportive and open minded and kept reiterating that in spite of his opinion about being ready to move on to adoption, he respects the fact that it's my body, and will support whatever I want to do next - more treatment or otherwise. Ack! Why didn't I rejoice in this response? Because I want to come up with a plan that makes both of us happy and leaves no room for questioning or second-guessing or resentment at any point in the future. And that is IMPOSSIBLE. There is NO GOOD ANSWER to this dilemma.

From a financial standpoint, we've decided that we simply cannot afford to shell out the full amount required for Shared Risk right now. In the spring when we both receive our annual work bonuses, we could conceivably fund a $20K payment - either for a Shared Risk IVF treatment plan, or for adoption. But not until then.

However, we have almost $4,000 worth of insurance coverage left. If we did one more cycle in the pay-as-you-go format, after adding in all the "extra" treatment options Dr. G recommended (ICSI, Assisted Hatching, etc.) we'd need to come up with about $7K (not including the drugs, of course.)

I almost come out of my skin contemplating the idea of waiting for almost 9 months to try again. 9 months is a lot of time to "waste" when you are trying to get pregnant, especially when you are about to turn 37.

Ultimately we've decided to come up with $7K and try again as soon as we get back from our beach vacation. I'm on BCPs now, so if all goes as planned, I'll likely be starting stims around the middle of September.

I don't know what we'll do if this cycle fails. Wait until spring to try to find $22K (in addition to the $7K we just blew)? Abandon treatment and begin pursuing adoption? I don't know. But I've accepted that I can't make decisions right now based on what may or may not happen in the future. We can only make one decision at a time, based on the current situation and circumstances. At this moment, doing another pay-as-we-go cycle seems like the next right step. Maybe I will second guess this decision. Maybe not.

I'm scared to death that it won't work, again. I'm terrified to think that this could be our last attempt at a biological child. Right now I'm trying very hard to "relax" (yeah right), and am hoping to enjoy our vacation in a few weeks.

12 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so sorry you two are going through this. The tough decisions we have to make are maddening. My thoughts and best wishes are with you for this next cycle.

Changing Expectations said...

I know that this is so tough, but I am glad to hear that you guys have a plan that you are both happy with. I am hoping that this next cycle is the one for you and that you don't have to worry about about next time. Hang in there.

Yetty said...

Here's hoping you're able to make the right decision that you can both live with. Never heard of shared risk. What is it? Will have to google that one out. SOunds interesting

Baby Blues said...

It's a difficult decision but with your very understanding hubby and family beside you and with lots of prayers, I know you will follow your heart and decide what's best.

It's really tough for husbands to see us go through this. They can't stand seeing us depressed or suffering. When I was in pain with ruptured cysts, hubby just held me and said "I just want you to be ok." And that's what they really want, more than a biological child.

jeanie said...

I think it's a good plan and it sounds like you are communicating really well despite the stress, which is not an easy thing to do. With some luck, this will be the last conversation you have to have about this. I sure hope so.
K, so much is riding on this cycle. From your post, I can feel the tension and worry. This is such a personal thing and I hope this isn't too much advice, but maybe a meeting or two with a professional counselor would be a good thing. He / she may be able to give you some coping strategies that might help as you contemplate the range of possible outcomes / the uncertainty a little easier. Just a thought. It has helped me at times in the past. Insurance would probably cover most of the cost.
Ok, enjoy your vacation! Try to forget about all of this for a while.

megan said...

it's good to hear that even through such a difficult decision you two are able to comprimise and work together. i hope you both have a fantastic vacation, and that this is the cycle will end the need for future conversations like that!

Egged Out said...

You two are where we are except the genders are reversed. I'm ready to move on to adoption and he wants to keep trying for a biological child. He would try until I am 45 I think! I have done 4 cycles in the past 9 months and I am already sick of it and would rather concentrate on something that has a higher likelihood of a positive outcome. Of course it would be nice to have our own biological child but it is more important to raise a child. I do understanding wanting to feel like you tried everything. I wish my doctor would tell me to give up and I think he would feel ok about stopping.

Good luck with your decisions.

Samantha said...

Like so many others, I'm also having some difficulty giving up the biological child dream. For me, it's been important just to take this one step at a time, but also look to the future, when I'm feeling able. Maybe you've gone round in circles enough for a few days, and you can come to revisit your ideas after a little while. It's hard, and it's taken me six months to feel more comfortable with the idea that treatment doesn't always work, but I think knowing there are other options out there is helping to keep the stress down.

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

The fact that you two talked & came up with a decision together is great.... There's absolutely no way to figure out what is BEST (financially, time-wise, emotionally). You just have to decide based on who you two are and your goals in life and what you feel good about. IF is so horrid & with BFN's after BFN's I do see Shared Risk's appeal. But 25K is a huge amount of money! So.... thanks for sharing your thoughts!

CAM said...

The best thing is coming up with a plan together. Every step of this is so important to a marriage...its something we all never thought we'd have to decide...but here we are. I also feel the same about age playing a factor. I just turned 36 and want to achieve my goal sooner than later! Keep us posted.
:)

Anonymous said...

"I feel really desperate and out of control; I'm not sure how to change or channel these feelings."

That describes how I'm feeling right now perfectly! None of these decisions are easy -- they are all gambles. Which makes it really hard. Even if you're a gambling sort of person (which I'm not), I'm not sure any of us wants to gamble with our chances of having a family. And yet that is often what it feels like...

Resplendentquetzal said...

We too had trouble w/ conceiving and chose adoption, because in the end, it's about having a child. The end results are the same, and the child is loved, cherished, and beautiful no matter if it came from your womb or not.

Remember: The goal is to have a child, not be pregnant.

It sounds harsh, but think about what you want most and make your decision from there.