Sunday, August 5, 2007

Hope's on her way out

Well, it's 13 days past my 3 day transfer, which translates to 16dpo, and nary a second line has been spotted. I think it's safe to say at this point that it's all over but the cryin'. It's been more than enough time to have seen a positive result from an HPT, but of course I'll go for the official blood pregnancy test on Tuesday.

My rage has sort of ebbed and flowed this week. I have good moments and bad. Today I had a pitiful trip to the grocery store - is it me or are there more pregnant bellies and mother-child parades per square foot at the grocery store than any other place on earth? Except for maybe, Disney World??? I was overcome and swiping tears off of my face in the frozen food aisle. I'm sure the other shoppers thought I was a wackjob.

But, I'm still glad I've handled things the way that I have - testing everyday so that there was a gradual and incremental grieving period happening each day. I still maintain that I couldn't have handled letting hope blossom and grow stronger and stronger for two whole weeks, having more and more fantasies about being pregnant, and then have it all crushed with one phone call. It's too much suspense, too much build-up, too much riding on that one call that I'd surely hyperventilate or pass out or scream or all of the above. As it is, knowing full well that Tuesday's news will be negative - I STILL don't think I can bring myself to answer the phone when the nurse calls. I decided a long time ago that I was going to let it go to voicemail, so I wouldn't have to make any conversation or say anything at all to the nurse.

I'm sure that Tuesday will still be very difficult, but I think, I hope, I've already processed a lot of my anger and sorrow over the loss of this cycle - which, I feel compelled to iterate, is just a nicer way of saying that our two embryos, our two maybe-babies have died. So, maybe I'm fooling myself, but I don't think I'll completely lose it when I get the news. I could be wrong I guess.

One small glimmer of an idea that is helping me to move on already, is that I just figured out that we may not have to make the big Shared Risk $20+ K payment immediately in order to continue treatment after this. I remembered that we should have at least a few thousand left of insurance coverage, since we didn't need to use anything towards freezing any embryos this cycle. So, I'm pretty sure that to do another cycle we would only need to come up with $4K or so, which is much less daunting than coming up with $20K. So that gives me hope that we can IMMEDIATELY start a new cycle and try again.

After 3 years of this, that's the only thing that makes me feel any better, is the idea that we can pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and try again immediately. I think part of the dread I was feeling about possibly failing this time around had to do with the knowledge that we'd likely have to wait for 6 months while we tried to scrounge up the money for shared risk.

I have to say though, I'm just really fucking tired of being patient. I've been patient for 3 years now. I'm sooooooooooo tired of this! What an understatement! It makes me want to jump out a window. The fact that we want this with every fiber of our very beings and there is not ONE thing I can do to exert any control over when it will happen. And in the meantime, I just have to roll with every punch, and keep waiting. Patiently. What choice do we have?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

K sweetie, I am so so incredibly sorry. This process is so unfair and you have gone through so much. I can't even imagine it. While you may not be feeling strong all the time, reading your words about picking yourselves up, dusting yourself off, and jumping right back in impresses me so much. You are such a superstar. This will not beat you.

Heather said...

I'm so sorry. I keep hoping you'll be wrong on Tuesday, but if not good luck on picking yourself up and dusting off to try again.

Samantha said...

I'm really sorry those embies didn't stick around. I know exactly how you feel and understand about how tired and down you are about waiting, about doctors, about the whole process... {hugs}

Egged Out said...

Dang!Sorry to hear your news. I get what you are saying about testing everyday so the news from the blood test isn't a shock. My mom for some reason doesn't want me to use hpts and only wait for the blood test. I poas 4 days prior to my blood test so when I got the official negative, I already knew and it wasn't so disappointing. I can't imagine having hope all that time and then getting the phone call. Sorry for your bad news. Take care.

Baby Blues said...

No words but know that I'm here and I hear you. Hugs K.

Changing Expectations said...

K, I am so sorry. I am still hoping like crazy that you get a BFP tomorrow.

I am glad that you are feeling strong enough to start again right away. Bonus that you have insurance $ left.

Hang in there. I know that this is so difficult. Know that you are not alone. There is a lot of support out there for you.

jeanie said...

It's not fair that something that is so taken for granted by most everyone should be this hard. I'm so sorry that this time wasn't your time. I know that incremental grieving process well and while I too feel that it beats that stone cold phone call at the very end, it's still one of the hardest things anyone could have to go through. Let those close to you help to get you through this and above all, be kind to yourself. You deserve a lot of kindness.

CAM said...

Ugh. This whole thing just sucks and you are right...you just get tired of being patient. You are doing everything you can and its so frustrating. The only thing to do is push on and keep going.
I'm so sorry - try to be strong.

Jen said...

I am so sorry! It seems so incredibly unfair that there are those of us in life who have to pay to have the privilege of just trying to get pregnant when there are those smug fertiles all around.

I hope though the beta surprises you tomorrow!

Best wishes!

Les said...

So sorry....it is all so painful and unfair to us all. I am sure you will be able to pick yourselves up and dust yourselves off.