Thursday, May 31, 2007

Waiting on Miss Priss

So, while I'm here in limbo-land, waiting on my prissy period to deign to grace me with her presence, I thought I'd post about something inspiring I heard today.

I attended a funeral today, for my best friend's father-in-law. He was interred with military honors at Quantico Cemetery at the Marine Corps base in Quantico, VA. It was a beautiful service, and the presiding chaplain delivered rather unique remarks, in my opinion. They were the most upbeat and joyful remarks I've ever heard at a funeral or interment service, and I've been to far too many.

In addition to the typical, "he was 81 years old, he lived a long, full life" type of stuff, the chaplain also admonished the rest of us to take joy in our own lives and loved ones - to wring the most out of every life experience we have, each and every day. While smiling a big infectious smile, he said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "We don't have much time here, any of us - so love your family and friends with your whole heart. Forgive everyone! For everything! Life is too short to harbor resentment. Let the love pour out of your heart at every opportunity! If you love someone, tell them! Try to be conscious of the joy in every life experience!"

I was particularly uplifted by this, and have been thinking about it all day. It helped to reset my perspective a little, which is always a good thing. His sentiments remind me of a passage that is very dear to my Mom. She has it framed by her bedside. (I believe we first heard this in a benediction delivered by our most beloved Dr. P, the former minister of our church, and the man who married R and me two and a half years ago):

Life is short.
We do not have much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us.
So be swift to love,
and make haste to be kind.

I think that says it all, folks.

6 comments:

Baby Blues said...

Inspiring. Life is really too short. And there's just so much love to share.

Jen said...

Those are wonderful words to live by!

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

That's beautiful. It is a great articulation of the key motivating principle for my everyday. Thanks for sharing. And glad that you are feeling a bit better!

Keeping The Faith said...

Really nice post...it made me stop to reflect a little...beautiful words to live by.

ms. c said...

"Miss Priss" - good one!!
Hope she shows up soon...

Samantha said...

Very inspiring! I need to keep those words in mind for myself!