Tuesday, May 15, 2007

K to IUI: So long, sucka. Oh, and thanks for the OHSS.

So, my much anticipated consult with the new RE was today. It went really, really well. I really liked Dr.G - he seemed very kind. Unlike Dr. D, he looked me in the eye the whole time we talked. Also unlike Dr. D, Dr. G made me feel as if he had all the time in the world to talk to me. I hadn't realized until today how important that quality is.

He seemed very positive about our plight, and could see no reason why we shouldn't have hope that IVF might work for us. He said he thought it would be unwise to continue with IUIs, as I've proven that I'm prone to OHSS. He was very surprised that no one at my previous clinic had mentioned the idea of converting our long-ass hyperstimulated cycle to an IVF cycle. He said that they do not, as a rule, perform "follicle reduction" procedures at the new clinic. In fact, he has never performed one. Ever. They don't 'believe' in them. Rather, when someone over-responds the way I did, and produces a shitload of mature follicles in an IUI, they either convert the cycle to an IVF cycle.....or they cancel it.

He told me that in their practice, I never would have been allowed to stim for 65 days. He said he would have called a halt to things at 17, 18, or perhaps 19 days, if nothing was happening, and induced a period. Then we would have started all over again with a different dose, different drug combo, or something else.

He basically said that he thought further IUIs would be a waste of time for us, because it would be highly likely that I'd end up over-responding, and end up converting the cycle to an IVF cycle anyway. Why not just do an IVF cycle in the first place, is the logic, I guess.

His opinion was that it would be better to do IVF, and then if I end up with severe OHSS, we'd do the retrieval, cryopreserve the embryos (assuming there were some of high enough quality) and do a frozen cycle once the OHSS had resolved on it's own. (Much like the experiences of our good friend Samantha) According to the good Dr. G, I can anticipate success rates of around 20% for an IUI cycle, 50% for a fresh IVF cycle, and btw 35 and 40% for a frozen cycle. So, a frozen cycle still holds more promise than IUI, any way you slice it.

Another interesting tidbit he offered is that for those prone to hyperstimulation, he likes to use a generic form of hCG, rather than the Ovidrel variety. Ovidrel apparently only comes in a pre-measured, pre-filled syringe in pre-determined amounts - 10,000 somethings? ius, maybe? I dunno, but since hCG is often the catalyst that propels someone into hyperstim mode, he likes to use less than the traditional dose - not as much as comes in the Ovidrel one-size-fits-all shot, but juuuuust enough to get the follicles to do their thing and release the eggs. The generic form can apparently be ordered up in whatever size dose he chooses. Probly cheaper too? A girl can hope.

The other good news, financially, is that at the new clinic, one is not precluded from participating in shared risk if one has previously gone through an IVF cycle. This is not the case at my previous clinic. I thought that seemed unfair, and apparently the new clinic shares that perspective.

Dr. G said he thought it made perfect sense to use the rest of our insurance money towards the purchase of a single IVF cycle - why in the world would we leave that money sitting on the table if we didn't have to? If the first cycle works, great. If it doesn't, we will essentially have used the first cycle as a diagnostic tool to better understand if IVF is a good choice for us. We'll have more information, based on my response, and the outcome, to decide if it will be advantageous to proceed with shared risk.

I told him my only worry about proceeding at this point is that we were trying to plan a vacation the second week of September. He first said that he thought we could definitely get in a cycle before then. Then I think he realized that I'm coming from a place of having stimmed for SIXTY FIVE DAYS, and he said that of course, the safest course of action - in terms of not interfering with our vacation - would be to wait and start the BCPs and Lupron in August. Then, I suspect he saw the look on my face, and he hastily added that of course, waiting and treading water for the rest of the summer might be, emotionally and mentally - not the wisest choice. Ha! I told him I wanted to start right away, and that we would take our chances with the vacation situation!

He said worst, worst case would be that I could end up with severe OHSS and end up in the hospital, which would of course preempt our vacation, if the timing lined up with that week. But of course, there's really no way to pinpoint the timing, bc we don't yet know exactly when we'll start the cycle, we don't know exactly how long it'll take to stim, we don't know how bad the OHSS will be, we don't know the exact timing btw retrieval and transfer, etc., etc.

I'm really inclined to book the damn vacation, and pray for the best. But, does that create even more pressure when that's the last thing we need? I don't know. I just feel like I'm so sick and goddamn tired of putting every fucking thing in our lives on hold in order to accommodate infertility.

At any rate, I now have in my hot little hand a doctor's order for some pre-conception genetic screening bloodwork (apparently the new clinic does a more thorough genetic screen than my previous clinic), a scrip for Provera to induce a period once they get the results of the genetic screen back, and the business card of the nurse who has been assigned to my case. I'm to call her as soon as I've completed the blood work. She said it takes at least 2 weeks to talk to the financial coordinator and get all the insurance details squared away (that seems a little ridiculous to me - 2 weeks, for cripes sake? but, I'll deal with it, I guess.) Then, I assume that after my period arrives, I'll have a baseline sonogram and bloodwork, and then be cleared to start the BCPs (there's something so totally demented and twisted about taking birth control as a part of this process, don't you think?)

The ONLY thing I'm apprehensive about, as far as treatment goes, is those damn intramuscular shots. I've only had to contend with the subcutaneous variety thus far. I could be remembering this wrong, but I think Dr. G said today that the Lupron was IM? I hadn't realized that, until now. I knew that the infamous progesterone-in-oil shots were IM. Dr. G said I'd be looking at around 3 weeks of PIO shots??? Good God. I can't imagine how sore my ass will be after all of that.

So, anyway, it feels good to be almost out of limbo, and be working towards a specific goal again. I'm thinking I'll probably go to the lab sometime this week and get the blood work out of the way. The sooner we get this show on the road, the better. I'm dreading the lab though - is it me or is going to one of those places somewhat akin to spending your afternoon at the DMV? If I didn't know better, I'd swear that LabC0rp and Quest Diagn0stics were both government agencies.

11 comments:

Egged Out said...

I'm glad you found a much better doctor. Best wishes for this cycle!

megan said...

good to hear about your new doctor. it sounds like you're in good hands. i say book the vacation, and purchase insurance on it. it costs a little more, but it's totally worth it. you can have it booked and have something to look forward to. if you end up having to cancel you're at least not out all of your cash. i think AAA offers decent trip insurance...

Jen said...

That is great to hear about the new doctor and his plans for you.

I wish you the best of luck this cycle!

Ann said...

Wow. What a lot of information. Having absolutely zero years of medical school under my belt, my professional opinion is...I totally agree with your new RE. It sounds like he is truly in this for your best interest. On to IVF!

Samantha said...

It sounds like you've got a much better plan with this doctor! (It also sounds like you respond a lot like me, as you said, and I've had a conversion cycle.) You might as well put all of those follies to use rather than reduce.

I've done cycles with generic HCG and ovi.drel (hyperstimmed on both, I hate to say!). But the good news is generic HCG is much cheaper!

Finally, I'd say you should start the cycle, book the vacation, and just hope it all works out for the best. You can't plan for every contingency, so I don't think you should assume you'll have another 60 day stim cycle!

Enough assvice! Good luck!

I don't think lupron is IM. Mine has always been SQ. PIO, unfortunately, is IM. No way around that!

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

May I just say this is EXCELLENT news. I was bothered by all the pain you went through (financially, emotionally, physically) from the last cycle and why on earth they weren't just doing IVF rather than retrieving all those eggs & discarding them. Of course, looking back we all have 20/20 vision, eh? Anyway, I think you're DEFINITELY doing the right thing with getting a new RE, so many of his ideas/protocols sound good.
I've only every used generic HCG (what can I say, we're military & it's the cheapest for them!). It's IM, maybe that's what he was talking about? The IM shots are NOT a big deal, just ice the area. I never felt it when dh did it, or even when I did it myself.
Keep us informed!!!

Melissa said...

"I just feel like I'm so sick and goddamn tired of putting every fucking thing in our lives on hold in order to accommodate infertility."

OMG- well said. I feel the same way!

Best wishes for your exciting new cycle.

carrie said...

This new RE sounds great - soooo much better than the previous one. And it sounds like he would never put you through what you just went through, which was horrible. I agree about the trip insurance - that way you can still plan on the trip but if you have to cancel it will not be a big financial blow. Of course, I'm hoping for you that you get the whole cycle in before then and can go on your trip with ease!

Changing Expectations said...

Hi K, I have been reading your blog for awhile now. Wanted to go ahead and post. I am so glad that you have found a Dr that you like and that seems much more involved. Wanted to let you know that Lupron was SubQ not IM for all of my cycles so far. My Lupron shots were easy peasy. My clinic (also in NOVA) uses the progesterone gel instead of the IM variety. Maybe you could ask your Dr. about the gel?

Jujube said...

Hi! I've been following your blog for a few weeks now as I am also a NoVa girl who just went through an IVF cycle. It sounds like you are now going to the same fertility center I went to, and seeing my favorite doctor there, Dr. G. I actually started out by seeing Dr. B who was recommended to me by a couple of friends. However, she went on a long vacation in the middle of my cycle and I ended up seeing Dr. G every other day for the ultrasounds. I found him to be much more reassuring, personable, and informative than Dr. B. She's not bad, but a little more detached, I think... Anyway, I am so glad that you switched fertility centers and wish you all the best working with Dr. G. If you are indeed going to the same place I did, then I think you will have a much better experience. Oh yes, I did Lupron, and it was a subcutaneous shot. PIO was actually not as bad as I expected it to be. Sending positive thoughts your way!

Jo said...

Hurray!!!
Sounds like a much betta dr then you had. Stimming for over 60 days is just wrong. I always thought that could hurt egg quality in the long run. Sounds like he knows what he is doing and can most likely control the possibility of OHSS.
Yes, the generic HCG was only about 18 bucks a shot I think, and you can control the strenght. I have done 5000 vs 10000 to help control over stimming.
Wishing all the best for you!!!