Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Melodrama

I wish I could say I've thrown off the pall of sadness that was cloaking me the last time I posted (just before Thanksgiving.) Unfortunately, if anything, it's gotten worse. I feel so.......vulnerable, I guess. Kind of fragile - like any little thing could send me into a crying, pity-partying meltdown.

I feel anxious all the time, and more than that, I've become aware that I seem to be constantly bracing myself for hurtful news of some kind.

I look at our little dog Murphy lately and all I can think is how wrenchingly sad it will be when he eventually dies. He's only 9 years old, and I'm not expecting him to go any time soon. But for some reason I cry every night when I cuddle up with him, and wonder how I will be able to get out of bed and go on with my life when he dies.

Every time we see friends I find I'm bracing to hear that they are pregnant (again.) Or when the phone rings my brain kind of winces, wondering if there will be horrible or sad news, or some other hurtful knowledge on the other end of it.

I feel needy and dependent. The slightest mood change in R has me spiraling into thoughts that he's going to leave me...if not now, someday. I've lost my faith in happy endings. I feel cynical. Empty, except for the tears that seem to be always right behind my eyes.

I hate myself for being this pathetic person. I'm so weak. I have SO much to be thankful for, and I have to really FORCE myself to recognize that on a constant basis. I would much rather sit around feeling ridiculously sorry for myself. All the time.

I'm also an ingrate. R took me out to a fabulous, expensive, special and romantic dinner for my birthday a week and half ago. All his idea. Instead of enjoying spending a special evening with him, and savoring time spent together (which is really the most important thing), and appreciating the substantive price tag of the bottle of wine and filet mignon, I cried in the night like a 5 year old because he didn't give me an actual gift to open. AAACCKK! I'm so not this person.

My God, I just read over this and it's so freaking melodramatic. Blech!!!! But, it's what I'm really feeling. Ugh. I don't know how to snap out of this.

I'm simultaneously looking forward to this Saturday, and dreading it with my entire being. I'm forcing myself to attend an adoption 'convention' in DC, where I'll attend seminars to get educated on the facets of international vs. domestic adoption, open vs. closed, costs, timeframes, etc.

I want to go, and learn, and understand our options. I'm also weighed down by the idea of it - overcome with sadness. I keep picturing myself wandering all over this huge convention surrounded by pictures of babies and children who need someone to love them. It should feel empowering to educate myself about our options. Instead it makes me feel like sobbing until I can't stand up straight.

********************

I just had to dash off the bathroom. R just sent me an email that yet another couple, who got married right around the same time that we did, are now expecting their first child. They think it's a boy.

By this point I think we infertiles understand each other. You know that of course I'm happy for them - thrilled they don't have the same problems that we do. They must be so happy! How perfect to announce their pregnancy right around the holidays. That's what I've always dreamed of! These two are such a wonderful couple and will make fantastic, smart, compassionate, responsible parents. I bet their child will be gorgeous! And, OF COURSE I'm glad they are pregnant. I wouldn't wish infertility on my worst enemy.

But the truth is, when I first read the email I instantly starting crying. My first thoughts were: Poor me! Why not us? That should BE us! Oh God, please help us, our hearts are breaking! I don't know what to do anymore.

9 comments:

Swim said...

You are not alone. I feel as though I am fighting back tears all the time and waiting for the next round of bad news. I wish I knew how to get out of this funk.

Hopefully, something will snap us out of it... winning the lottery?!

jeanie said...

This isn't melodramatic; it's honest, real, and something most of us can relate to. There should be some kind of month and a half-long sedative administered to women dealing with IF starting mid-November. Unfortunately, everything just seems to be magnified by this "joyful" season that for many of us is utterly devoid of joy.

I have no real words of comfort. I can only say that there are external events that are making you feel / act this way. Change the events and I think you would find the old you still there. I know that's not possible right now and that hope can be a very dangerous thing... I've been unable to hope many times... just too painful. Please just do what you have to do, try to get through this, and know that there are many people out here who are still hoping for you.

CLHK said...

I feel the same and it is awful. Spent the better part of my Thanksgiving weekend bawling because yet another friend is pregnant after trying since September...are you f*ing kidding me!

Samantha said...

I'm sorry. I've been there with these feelings for the past few weeks. It's tough to acknowledge them, even tougher not to judge yourself for feeling. It's okay, sweetie, not that everything's great, but it's okay to be feeling bad.

The adoption seminar sounds like a really neat idea to get all of that information at once. I hope there will be some kernels of hope that can spring from it for you.

CAM said...

EXACTLY....WELL SAID!! It was as if you are reading my mind. The cynical outlook, the sensitivity, the bitterness. I am totally with you. This whole experience has changed my personality and it upsets me so much that I have become this bitter person, but I don't care. There are five new pg teachers at my school and I am not happy for them. Its horrible to say, but I haven't acknowledge them at all and I just don't care anymore. So terrible of me.
Hopefully we will both find a way out of this mood someday. Thanks for the honesty in your post.
:)

Frenchie said...

Hi-
I just tripped on to your blog--probably through a link on someone else's blog roll. I just wanted to say that I can completely relate to all the feelings you've described. I have been in that place many, many times. I know what it's like to have a constant stream of pregnancy announcements to deal with, believe me!

On another topic, if you would like to talk to someone or ask questions about my experience with domestic adoption, I'm very happy share my adoption experience with you. (We adopted a baby who was born in March) :0)

email:
jurgens_french@yahoo.com

Take good care.

Ann said...

Yes, I know exactly how you feel. If I was a pessimist before, I am most certainly the queen of pessimists now. Hell, I wouldn't even be able to pretend I was happy for a friend who just got pregnant.

Jaded Girl said...

You have just read my mind and heart. I too feel the same way, I have become this sad person who
actually thinks about who will be present at any given function: Pregnant women? Little girls?
Babies? I lost a 22-week pregnancy of a baby girl earlier this year, and it changed me so much. I also learned that my hubby and I have a genetic redisposition for reoccurrence. Each future pregnancy carries a 25% recurrence rate. Each one of my loved future pregnancies will carry a very real risk of death. The world can be cruel and unfair.

My heart is still broken but I coming to grips with my reality. And we are going to keep on trying.
No matter what.

I wish you the same preserverence and strength in this b*tch of a roller coaster ride that I wish for myself and others.

No matter our reasons, or issues we all want our babies and I wish us all a very happy and complete ending.

Baby Blues said...

Oh K, I go through the same emotions. I hate that I'm weak. But it's how I feel. Just know that you're not alone.