Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Guess now I'm in a 'Mock 2WW'. Should I practice going insane?

So, I've been hanging out here in BCP land, with nothing much to report and no deep thoughts to share for a quite a while now. Thought I'd post a quick update on my fledgling (yet still exciting, to me!) IVF cycle.

So, today marks 2 and 1/2 weeks that I've been on the blasted bcp's, which meant it was a good week to get my Mock Embryo Transfer procedure out of the way. One more pre-requisite that I can cross off of my countdown-to-IVF checklist!!

For anyone who is unfamiliar with this procedure, it is basically a dress rehearsal of the transfer procedure that will be performed for the gorgeous embryos that R and I are going to make later this summer. Because a transcervical embryo transfer is essentially a 'blind' procedure, most doctors like to do a test run in advance of egg/embryo development, while there is still plenty of time to react to any unexpected difficulties or complications with catheterization or uterine position.

During the procedure, they thread a special catheter through your cervix into your uterus, and they measure the angle and shape of your cervical canal, as well as the depth of your uterus, to make sure they know what size instruments to use, etc. There was no pain involved - in fact the the only thing I could really feel at all was the speculum going in, and then I could feel when they filled my uterus with saline, in order to observe via ultrasound the shape, depth, etc. It was quite interesting to watch, on the ultrasound screen, actually.

Since this morning, I've had some bleeding and cramping on and off, but nothing worth complaining about, really.


I start the daily Lupron injections this Friday! Never having taken this particular drug, I'm not sure what to expect? I've never really had any side effects from anything I've taken so far, not even Clomid, so I'm not really worried. I remember reading on someone's blog that she thought the Lupron shots stung worse than the stimulating drugs. That would be a bummer.


I also found out today what my starting drug protocol will be for stims. I was a little dissapointed at the low dosage he wants to start me on, but I'm trying to just relax and trust him.


Last time, Dr. D started me at 75ius of Follistim. Then I went up from there over the course of 2 months to 200 ius of Follistim - my highest dose, and the dose at which I finally began responding (and over-responding.) Dr. D didn't add in any Menopur until I was already at 150ius of Follistim. My dose of Menopur remained constant for the 2 weeks that I took it - 75ius.


So, Dr. G is recommending that I start out at 100 ius of Follistim, and 50 ius of Menopur. I think he believes that my response at the end of the last cycle may have had more to do with the addition of the Menopur than with the higer dose of Follistim. Let's hope he is right!


At any rate, I do feel good about the fact that Dr. G reiterated to me today that he will not let me go on and on with the stims for weeks and weeks....he said that the longest he would consider going would be about 16 or 18 days. If nothing is happening, we'll stop, and regroup - possibly try another drug protocol.


So, that's my story for now, y'all! I'm trying to allow a healthy amount of hope to start to develop, without letting myself get too carried away....isn't that always the trick?

11 comments:

CAM said...

I am very excited for you to start. The combination of two drugs is very common and it seems that they start you low so that you don't blow up with follies and they have to cancel the cycle. I take a TON of meds (seems I am a bit of a slow responder). I take 300 of Gonal-F and 300 of Menopur each night.
Here's to a bunch of good eggs!!

megan said...

yea! here's to a most excellent cycle.

Samantha said...

I actually found the lupron shots not to hurt much at all, although they definitely made me cranky and gave me a headache. But then, again, so did clomid, so maybe you won't react to the lupron either.

Good luck with everything!

Waiting Amy said...

(I'm new to blogging) Good luck on your first (hopefully only) IVF cycle! Don't worry too much about IMs -- they aren't that bad, but if you are getting sore, try icing before/after.

I saw your post abt pharmacies. If you want to see prices, try Freedom Pharmacy. They have significantly lower prices for some things, like Gonal-F, and they do free shipping with good customer service.

Baby Blues said...

I'll be cheering you on K. Holding on to hope with you on your first IVF!

Jen said...

Yay! I am so excited for you. And thanks for the deets on the mock transfer. I never knew!

Unknown said...

I'm glad your mock transfer went well!

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

You sound really upbeat and motivated, which is fantastic. I am so excited that you are going to be able to do the IVF cycle!!

Watson said...

K,

I'm so excited for you...this is BIG news!

And I know this sounds crazy, but I LOVED the Lupron. The shots weren't painful at all and there was something it that actually made me feel better than I had in years...really!

I'm glad the mock transfer went well, and good luck with everything else to come :-)

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

I'm excited you're starting - Wow! I hope the doctor is right about the Menopur's affects combined with the Gonal-f. How often will you go in for ultrasounds? If it's every 2-3 days, he should know pretty quick if the gonal-f needs upping.

I'm curious if my clinic does the mock embryo transfer? And YES you should practice going insane - to prepare your husband for the REAL insanity!

Good luck! I love to hear the updates!!

Kellie with an "ie" said...

Hi girl! I am so excited that you like and trust your doctor and that your plan is under way. I have my fingers and toes crossed that this is IT for you!