Thursday, April 19, 2007

Ovaries in overdrive

I still can't believe this is happening! Went in for monitoring again this morning, and suddenly my wizened old ovaries fancy themselves overachievers of the highest order. Yesterday morning I had one follicle at 21mm. This morning I have NINE over 20 - some up to 23mm. And don't forget the 16 or so hovering in the 17-19mm range. YIKES!

Dr. D called a few minutes ago to confirm that although octuplets might make the record books, we won't be taking the chance. Instead, he'll perform a follicle reduction before insemination, limiting me to only 3 eggs. Even that makes me nervous. I'm definitely NOT one of those people who says, "Oh gee, wouldn't it be nice to have twins and just get all of this pregnancy stuff out of the way with one fell swoop?!" Nuh-uh, not me. I've SEEN people pregnant with twins, I've TRIED to talk to mothers of twin babies when both kids were squalling and demanding attention simultaneously, I've WITNESSED the chaos, and I say, gimme a singleton pregnancy any day of the week and twice on Sunday...that is to say... well, you know what I mean.

Anyway the plan is to trigger at 11:30pm tomorrow night. Then bright and early on Sunday morning R will make his deposit, and they'll put me under for the follicle reduction. The nurse said that they'll go ahead and do the insemination while I'm still out of it. She said this like it was a good thing. Am I to surmise that the insemination procedure is not pleasant? I had the cervical culture and mock-insemination done, way back in the Mesozoic era, before I started this cycle. I didn't find it particularly uncomfortable? But maybe there's something about the real thing that is worse than the run-through??

Ever since yesterday, I have felt like there was a warm ray of light shining down on the top of my head. I cannot express how thankful and grateful I feel right now for this opportunity. This will be, literally, the first and only chance that R and I have had to create a child since we married 2 years and 6 months ago. Isn't that a kick in the pants?

10 comments:

Kellie with an "ie" said...

I couldn't be more thrilled it if was happening to me. Praying praying praying for you!

Ann said...

I have to say that I am just so, so happy this cycle has been salvaged, after all. From what I hear (not personal experience), IUIs are not very painful.

Get ready to enjoy your very first 2WW! I had my first (and only) a couple of months ago, and it was really hard. The agony! :)

Watson said...

Wow, so your trigger is tonight, right?

Sooo exciting and YAY for those ovaries who kicked into high gear just in time!

And sorry about my alarming post opener, I am a dork and totally didn't realize how that would read.

Please don't tell the triplets :-)

GOOD LUCK this weekend, girl, you better update us after the IUI. (Which is easy-peasy by the way, like a regular pelvic for the most part and although those are not my favorite way to spend an afternoon, it's really not bad at all!)

Samantha said...

Also not from personal experience, but I don't think IUI is very painful. Sorry your ovaries are so whacked out with their follicle production. Those PCOS ovaries are just completely unpredictable, this I know! Good luck!

carrie said...

Holy moly, I am so so SO excited for you. Your ovaries must have sensed that a deadline was near - procrastinators that they are. Good luck! I can't wait to hear how everything goes!

Keeping The Faith said...

Finally!!! Yeah!!!! I was so happy to read this post. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and sending many prayers your way.

Also- FYI...I've had 8 inseminations and not one bothered me a bit. It's just like a pap smear.

-Faith

Princess Barren said...

Yay, so glad to hear some good news for you!!

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

I was so excited to hear your good news!!!!!!

My fingers are crossed that everything went well this weekend.

Baby Blues said...

Finally! Good luck with the trigger and the IUI. Glad you finally got those ovaries to cooperate. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Melissa said...

How's it going? Anxiously awaiting good news!