Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Updated: Follicles a go-go

To say that I'm pleasantly surprised is a gross understatement. This morning was my last hurrah with Dr. D. I'm down to the last of my drug supply. If this morning's scan had shown the same old status quo with my unresponsive ovaries, the plan was to cease and desist, rather than continue throwing good money after bad. The next step of the plan wasn't to occur until mid-May, when I have a consultation appointment scheduled for a second opinion with another doctor at a different clinic.

To my utter amazement, this morning's ultrasound revealed that the drugs have finally worked. My follicles have been in the 6-10 mm range for over 60 days, but they've now moved on up to the big time, several clocking in at the 16 through 19 mm range, and even one at 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I. Can't. Believe it!

Today, for the first time the wanding was reeeaaallly uncomfortable, and for the first time, my left ovary was hiding behind my uterus. The RE had to really be aggressive to find it, and it was so uncomfortable that I was making little "ooh, ohh" noises from the uncomfortable-ness of it. It was worth it though, because that is where the 20mm chief follicle was hiding. RE said that was the threshold they looked for to indicate readiness to trigger. He also said that we'll have to monitor closely to see if the others try to catch up to Mr. Big. If there's a sudden burst of competition, I'll need to have the follicle reduction procedure to reduce the risk of high order multiples.

Bottom line is that trigger is imminent, and IUI is likely to happen sometime this weekend.

I know that several things could still go wrong from here. What if the trigger shot doesn't work? What if I don't ovulate in a timely fashion? What if my body can't seem to release the egg at all? What if, what if, what if?

You know what? I'm absolutely not worrying about any of that. Won't even let myself go down that path. La, la, la, la.....Right now, I'm giving my full concentration to being joyful and thankful that my ovaries are in fact, NOT completely unresponsive. This means that there is hope to try again after this. This means that this is not the end of the road. This means that my body cooperated and performed properly, and for that I wholeheartedly commend it.

I have been effusively thanking and congratulating my ovaries all morning, lest they should feel unappreciated and go on hiatus again.

The office will call me this afternoon to tell me whether I need to take my last 3 remaining doses of Follistim, and/or when to take the trigger shot. Be assured I shall update you as soon as I hear something!

:)
***********************************************************************************
Update: I have officially set my clinic's record of longest stim, at 65 consecutive days. R thinks I should get some kind of recognition for that, like my name on a plaque in the waiting room or something. The streak ends today, thank the good Lord above. Dr. D has decreed that no needles shall pierce my skin tonight. Drugless for tonight, then back tomorrow morning for one last wanding, to ensure there are still only one or two biggies. If all goes well, I'm back on the needle tomorrow night--- for the trigger! Woo hoo!!!

10 comments:

Kellie with an "ie" said...

HOOORRRRAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! I am thrilled for you!

Ann said...

Oh, I'm so glad your ovaries finally got smart! Talk about a sign from God that you should continue with the infertility treatments! Here's hoping that everything goes OK from here on out...

Samantha said...

Good news! I'm pretty new to your blog and looked through the horrors you've had to go through. Damn ovaries! Don't worry about trigger shot, it'll work for you.

Now a bit of maybe unwanted assvice, and I'm certainly no doctor, but if things don't work out on this cycle, I think it would be a good idea for you to keep your second opinion appointment. RE's all have different comfort levels with how aggressive they want to be with treatment, but your doc seems to maybe too much on the timid side by refusing to raise you dose, leading to this 60 day debacle.

I know from personal experience that with PCOS it's easy to hyperstimulate and it's tough to control the growth the follies, but maybe another approach for you would be better.

Anonymous said...

Go follicles GO! Good Luck K.
Keep us up to date :)

Artblog

jeanie said...

I think you must have made those follicles finally grow through sheer will-- pretty amazing. Keep that positive momentum going and good luck!

Watson said...

YAY, good news!

I know it's almost impossible not to worry at this point, but trust that your doctor knows what s/he's doing and that the trigger will come at exactly the right moment to kick start those ovaries into releasing that egg!!

And keep us posted, okay??

GOOD LUCK!!

Leslie said...

Go ovaries go!!!!

ms. c said...

K!! This is so amazing! Just goes to show that you never know what can happen. Kudos to you and to your Doc for hanging in there.
Good luck this morning and keep us posted. I am rooting for you and your follies that CAN!

Alexa said...

I have been following your story and am SO relieved to read this entry!
I also agree w/ Samantha about a second opinion. As a fellow PCOSer, I am aware of the issues at play here, and I really think things are not as dire as your RE painted them.
Good Luck!

Melissa said...

Good gracious! 65 days!!! Well, congrats on finally getting there!